Thursday, June 13, 2013

MAMA movie review


So today me and my sister were told to clean the house, and we did.
In twenty minutes.
We had nothing to do, so I thought, "Hey, let's watch a movie", and she was cool with it, so this is what I found. I have actually been wanting to see it for a while (being a Coraline fan) and I have to say it was pretty good. Just a little confusing.
Mama starts out with a man killing his estranged wife (not shown) and kidnapping his two daughters. Their car crashes into a tree and they find a remote cabin in the woods to hide in. So anyway, he's set to kill his daughters and then commit suicide when OHMYGOD something really scary kills him. The "thing" (wait, let me guess, it's MAMA) tosses the girls a cherry, and through a bunch of juvenile drawings in the opening credits we are led to believe that MAMA has been taking care of them for five years in the woods. The girls are found by a rescue team and by now have resorted to animal-like behavior. They get sent to live with their uncle and his girlfriend. However, MAMA isn't ready to let them go just yet....
I have to say this movie was pretty well done. Guillemero Del Toro is a really heavy visual director, and he worked hard to make MAMA appear very scary looking. The cinematography was good, the acting was....well, it was okay. It's just kind of hard to sympathize with characters that aren't really given proper development before facing conflict, with the possible exception of the girls. Also, I felt that the movie didn't have proper pacing. It starts out slow, then gets really fast, then slows down again, pretty much for the entire film. We are given a really good back story as to who MAMA is, and at the same time, there are still a lot of unanswered questions. Overall, I give this movie 7/10. It's good, but feels flat and could have been developed a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment