Monday, July 22, 2013

"Neil Young: Harvest Moon" Album Review


Wow, first album review! The reason I am doing this is because I noticed how some of the movies I've been reviewing lately are actually kind of mainstream and I don't think it's keeping the blog on track. So I've decided to pump a little Hippie Bohemian vibe onto these webpages. 
Now, this album came out a while ago (read: 1992). But even before then, people had started to move on from the 60's. They were probably wondering why Neil Young, one of the biggest hippies of that decade (he was in Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, for crying out loud), was still out making records with subliminal psychedelic and "peace" images in an era where rap music was gaining prominence. 
And yes, I can understand that...but way to stick it to the Man by creating a kick-ass album, Neil!
I have a lot of favorite albums on this track. "You and Me" was one of the first songs I heard off of this record, and it works nicely as a quieter, more melodic version of a love song. The title track is not unlike something you would see a couple of hippies dancing to at Woodstock while tripping out (hey, to each their own). The most haunting track on the album, I would have to say, is "War of Man". The message in this song isn't too subtle (spoiler: Anti-Establishment) but the lyrics have some truth in them. It speaks of how all humans are equal to each other and that battles just leads to nobody winning because if you are killing someone who is equal to you, then aren't you only damaging yourself? 
I know people would argue with me, but this album is pretty relevant to what we experience in the world today. So dim the lights, burn some incense, and put this album on your playlist. 
Just try not to trip too hard. 

Rating: 9/10


No comments:

Post a Comment