Sunday, July 14, 2013

What's the "face" of your summer?


Every season or specific time of the year has a "face": an image, song, smell, movie, or trigger that instantly makes us remember a certain type of life event. For example, me watching the Rush documentary takes me back to two summers ago, when I watched the movie for the first time. 
It's almost as if our brains have all of these "jars" that trap special moments and can be reopened with exposure to certain things. 
My "jar" for this summer is building up tediously, but if it had to have a certain picture on it that summed it up, I think it would be of me in Saratoga, walking around the little town and driving through the battlefields in a torrential downpour. Of course, this may change as September looms, but for right now I'm sticking with it. 

Right now, I urge you to think of the "faces" that decorate the moments in your head. What are your "jars"? How are they triggered? Figuring these things out will not only improve your memory functions, but also help build good mental coping mechanisms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment