Thursday, May 22, 2014

The Gothic Bohemians Top 100 Films Of All Time (So Far), #100-90

     All right! So I spent most of the morning compiling a list of movies I consider to be the best. Notice that the movies appear based on my overall consensus of the film, and not on whether the movie was critically acclaimed, though I will admit that a good portion of my top 10 movies are considered to be extremely good (at least the majority of them, anyway). Now, it should also be noted that several "classic" films, such as the Wizard of Oz, are absent on the list because it can be largely agreed that they would appear on the list anyway had I not wanted to leave room for the movies that people probably wouldn't expect. The list is going to come in increments of 10.
Let's get started! Here are my top movies from 100-90:

100. Pirates Of The Carribean: Dead  Man's Chest


What better way to kick off a movie list than with what is arguably Johnny Depp's greatest role? This movie is full of everything we love about adventure movies, from swordfighting to treasure hunting to sea monsters.  The cinematography pulls you into a story that is both funny and complex at the same time. The thing I admire the most about this film was that it equally balanced humor and darker themes, something that the other two films did not quite do (but, to be fair, it kind of worked for At World's End, which I shall get to later).

99. 47 Ronin

I know what you are thinking: isn't it weird to put a movie on this list when you only watched it a day ago? Shouldn't you let it ferment? Sure, I suppose, but I felt this film was good enough to deserve a spot on the list. It is very campy in a sense, but that is what makes it enjoyable. Every so often, I appreciate when a movie simply aims to entertain rather than provoke, so to speak. And aren't movies supposed to be escapism, anyway?

98. Twilight

I want to thank whoever is reading this for deciding to continue with this list even after they saw the word Twilight appear. I should admit that I have no problem watching Twilight. Does it have problems? Yes, absolutely, but I do believe these issues are overhyped and exaggerated to the point where people believe this is one of the worst movies ever. A guilty pleasure? Sure. But horrible? Far from it. I can name at least ten movies worse than this one, people. In short, it is a decent film. The acting is a bit stiff, and the effects need work, but overall it delivers to the audience it aims to please.


97. Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure


Probably the 3rd campy film on this list so far. The thing that makes this film funny is how it does not take itself too seriously. And when that is established, sometimes the laughs come easier than expected. It's nice to see the historical cameos and how they interact with the modern world, and it's done in such a way that it comes off more hilarious and goofy than being forced humor. Goofy and over-the-top, Bill And Ted is certainly one of the best 80's movies I have seen so far, and hope to see again. Most excellent! 

96. Auntie Mame

Sometimes I wonder if Rosalind Russell ever failed to do well in a role. While this film took some getting used to, eventually its charming nature grew on me. It's very amusing to watch Rosalind portray the larger-than-life Mame Dennis and interact with her eccentric group of Bohemian friends. The culture shock between the raw artists and the uptight yuppies makes this film wonderfully enjoyable.


95. Dr. Suess' How The Grinch Stole Christmas


People are going to hate me for this one. The live-action (and recently, animated) Dr. Suess films have been heavily criticized as inappropriate and annoying, and while I do largely agree with that statement, this is the one "newbie" Dr. Suess film I actually like. It could have something to do with how it was practically the only film I watched as a kid, but even as I grew older I began to realize its charm. Though it focuses more on humor than on heart, it still remains one of my favorite Christmas movies.

94. Tommy Boy

Oh, Chris Farley, have you ever been not funny? It can be assumed that without Farley, this film would have been largely forgotten. But his energetic character, contrasted with the straightlaced personality given by David Spade, provides for one unforgettably hilarious film. Not to mention that it is full of moments you can't help but quote over and over.


93. Atlantis: The Lost Empire


This is kind of an underground Disney film; as in, it is good enough to be remembered but not considered as groundbreaking as many of the classic Disney films. Atlantis was a risk for Disney, and while it did backfire a bit, I still find this film to be one of the most underrated films to come out of the company. While the dialogue and story is a bit thin, the animation and characters help to compensate for that, and the movie carries itself pretty well. Plus, I probably should admit that Kida is one of my favorite Disney princesses and more attention should be given to her!


92. Ferris Bueller's Day Off

I believe that this movie would have been on the same level with Bill And Ted if it hadn't made the humor a bit smarter than Bill and Ted did. For that reason, Ferris Bueller's Day Off is a slightly more refined comedy film. The characters are well-rounded, the story is well-paced, and overall the film is witty enough to keep you interested without coming off as in-your-face or overbearing. Overall it's a well-written film with tons of memorable moments that everyone is sure to enjoy.


91. Parenthood 

I'm sure some of you are going, "Wait, what?" Yes, this is the original movie that inspired the recent TV show. (Not to mention it's the third movie with Keanu Reeves that I've included on this list so far, but let's ignore that.) What makes this movie interesting is that is relates strongly to the audience. Each of the family units portrayed represents at least one type of family we've all encountered at some point. Not to mention, the actors all have good chemistry, which is sometimes difficult to pull off for films that focus on extended families. A heartfelt and humorous film, this is certainly one of the most uplifting and lighthearted movies I have seen in a while.


90. A Christmas Story

Dang, to come off of the Keanu Reeves trend, why don't I just throw in another Christmas movie as well? Just kidding; I truly believe that this movie deserves a spot on the list. The humor is legendary; narrated with a sharp amount of wit, it is wildly entertaining and gets funnier with each passing year. How could you not laugh as Ralphie is pushed down the slide by an irate mall employee or forced to solemnly don a pink bunny outfit?

No comments:

Post a Comment