Friday, May 30, 2014

Top 100 Movies, #30-21

30. I Love You, Man

Usually when it comes to buddy comedies, I pass. For the most part, I find them to be raunchy, unfunny, crude, and somewhat misogynistic in some areas. But I do love this movie. It could be because of how the movie focuses a lot on the guys bonding over Rush (which, I'll admit, made me watch this film in the first place). However, the film does have a few other nice qualities. The humor isn't over-the-top in terms of sexual content. It's pretty smart, actually. I also liked how they gave Peter's fiancèe an actual character, along with her best friend, instead of just having them sit in the background.   Come to think of it, all of the characters are actually pretty well-rounded and relatable. It's interesting to watch them come together on screen, and doesn't feel awkward, like other male-type comedies I've seen. Certainly one to check out.


29. Sweeney Todd



I waited forever to see this movie. It came out when I was eleven, so I had to wait years before I was old enough. And when I finally saw it, I'll admit that it held up pretty well. Some of the singing is a bit rough in a few areas, but keep in mind that a lot of the cast members aren't used to singing a lot, so I give them credit. I love the visual style of this movie; because it really portrayed itself to be the essence of Burton's soul, I naturally felt right at home. Even though I haven't watched it in a while, I still find myself singing the songs from time to time. 


28. The Godfather Part II



I kind of debated whether or not I should even put a Godfather movie on this list, since it's assumed to be one of the movie greats and would obviously had been one of my unspoken top picks. But I decided to include it on the list anyway. The reason I enjoyed this movie more than the first was because I felt that it was more involved with telling the overall story instead of just focusing on the characters themselves. I appreciated seeing Vito's backstory because it gave a better context to who he was and why he was doing what he did. In fact, it helped to illustrate the whole family a little better, which was interesting. Actually, it might help to see this movie before you see the first one, however weird that might sound. This is still a movie I thoroughly enjoy watching anytime, especially with my family. 


27. The School Of Rock


Jack Black can sometimes be a hit-or-miss when it comes to his movies. This one is definitely a win. Being a classic rock fan, I love this film. I loved to see the references to the greatest rock musicians of our time, and laughed at how Black's character criticized current popular music. When I watch this movie, I totally feel like I can relate to his character by how he wants to encourage creativity among students who are in a strict world of high standards and rules. Sometimes, you just got to stick it to the man. 



26. Sleepy Hollow

This is my favorite movie to watch on Halloween. It literally has everything to love about a Tim Burton movie. It's creepy, but in a goofy way, and has a bunch of quirky characters and moments that make us laugh out loud, especially with Johnny Depp playing the scaredy-cat Ichabod Crane. The setting alone made me want to watch this movie, as here in the Hudson Valley we sometimes consider the Headless Horseman to be a sort of local claim to fame. Awesome and entertaining flick for anyone looking for a creep-tacular movie.


25. Edward Scissorhands


Is there really anyone out there who is capable of hating this film? Everyone just seems to fall in love with it. The story is fresh and original, and truly showcases Burton's talent as an eccentric storyteller. I was also greatly amused by the somewhat anti-suburbia social commentary, considering that I actually plan to write a novel in the future that also satirizes this type of thematic element. Plus, the characters are the icing on the cake, and the tone is unforgettable. Really a wonderfully bittersweet film.


24. The Cabin In the Woods 


Talk about not judging a book by its cover! This film made everyone do a complete 180. I saw the trailer thinking, "Great, another generic horror film," but this genuinely took me by surprise. who knew that a horror film could completely satirize itself and actually succeed in doing so? This movie doesn't take itself too seriously, which makes it a complete blast to watch. You will love everything from the characters to the monsters (spoiler alert!). Get ready for one heck of a ride. 


23. Ed Wood

This is arguably Johnny Depp's best role other than Captain Jack Sparrow. It just seems tailor-made for him; who else would be able to pull off the wildly goofy and off-the-wall persona that was the worst director of all time, Ed Wood? I admired how this was shot in black-and-white; it pulls you into the story by making the viewer feel that we are actually in one of his movies. We feel more involved with the characters, who are one of the funniest group of oddballs I've ever had the pleasure of viewing on film. And with a cast as wonderful as the one in this movie, it is no wonder that people consider this to be among the very best of the Depp and Burton collaborations. 


22. Remember Me


Why does everyone hate this movie? Many of the reasons people give for hating it is either due to Robert Pattinson, or the ending. First off, give Pattinson a break; I understand Twilight was kind of campy, but even he hates it by now, so let's drop it. With regards to the ending, the writer wanted to model the story after hearing about families who lost loved ones in 9/11 (oops, spoiler!). So really, what's the issue? The story was interesting enough, I liked the characters, I liked how they interacted with each other...this wasn't a bad movie by any means. Seriously overlooked, and one that is still one of my favorites. 



21. The Descent


This is hands-down one of the most unexpectedly awesome films I have ever seen. It took a decent amount of time to grow on me, since I was absolutely terrified the first time I saw it. But after watching it a few more times, I really began to see why it was so good. The lighting, of course, is the most prominent factor of the film, and it is right on the money. I mean, it is probably the best lighting I have ever seen in a film. I love how it makes everything appear super-claustrophobic, which really helps us to be put in the perspective of the characters. Speaking of the characters, it was pleasant to finally see an all-female cast for a horror movie. All the scenes with them fighting off the cave crawlers was just too cool. Most certainly one of the best films I have seen in the last few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment