Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Top 100 Movies, #60-51

60. The Prince Of Egypt


This is one of the movies where Dreamworks really got it right. Having grown up Catholic, I have seen this film roughly three thousand times, but that doesn't make it any less breathtaking. The animation is so artistically crafted, it as if you are watching an oil painting in motion. Plus, the soundtrack by Hans Zimmer adds a tremendous amount of depth and focus to the Exodus story. 

59. Star Wars, Episode 4: A New Hope


While The Phantom Menace is remembered for its pretty shoddy quality, A New Hope is remembered as arguably the best film in the saga. It set the bar for the rest of the sequels and secured a legacy for the entire trilogy. The movie is an absolute blast to watch from beginning to end, and remains as one of the great film epics of our time. 


58. Beaches

I am not usually one for tearjerker-type movies, but Beaches changed my mind for once. I have been watching this film for a long time. I love the story, I love the characters, I love the chemistry between them. Definitely don't watch this film alone; it's usually meant to be enjoyed between two girlfriends. But if you do watch it, bring tissues. 


57. Breakfast At Tiffany's


I had been hearing about this film long before I saw it. And, like most people, I adored it. Audrey Hepburn always brings such a lovable aspect to every character she plays. The bright and quirky Holly Golightly is no exception, almost bouncing off the walls with vibrancy and delight in nearly every scene. And I so want to live within her walls; seriously, who wouldn't want an apartment that has a bathtub couch and a beautifully flamboyant bedroom complete with an adorable sleepmask?


56. The Goonies

This is one of those movies that you either love or hate. Personally, I love it. It has everything we love about eighties movies: interesting characters, pop culture references, sharp humor, and classic cinematography styles. Definitely one of Spielberg's best films, and one of the great comedy adventures of our time. If you haven't seen it yet, be sure to do so at some point.


55. Chicken Run

Next to a bunch of Disney films and The Grinch, this was a movie that I watched over and over for years as a kid. Who would have thought that a plotline as ridiculous as chickens trying to liberate themselves would end up working so well? I suppose it's really the genius of Peter Lord and Nick Park.  Every movie of theirs (well, okay, almost every movie) has been top-notch, full of hilarious moments and brought together with enticing claymation. This is most certainly one of the greatest films they have ever done. 


54. Poltergeist


From the outside, this movie looked pretty innocent. But once you watch it, you are in for one heck of a ride. If I had seen this when it had first come out, it probably would have scared the crap out of me. the visuals do not hold back at all, from having a person rip their face apart to a giant tree attempting to eat a small child. If you want a smart horror film, this is one to check out. But for me, this is one thrilling experience to stay with you long after the credits roll. 

53. Funny Face 

While this is one of Audrey's somewhat lesser-known classics, I actually enjoyed this one a bit more than Breakfast At Tiffany's. I believe it was because the pacing is a bit quicker, and the story is slightly more interesting. I also love the references to the beatniks and French Bohemia that exists in the film. I put this gem right up with Auntie Mame


52. A Town Called Panic


What is great about this movie is that it can appeal to almost anyone. It is clean and interesting enough for kids to enjoy, yet quirky and amusing enough to entertain adults. It does not try to be this really compelling, artistically moving film: when it comes down to it, the film is just trying to have a lot of fun, and it succeeds. I mean, you can't really take this movie seriously when it's a bunch of action figures speaking to each other in French, but that's the beauty of it. 


51. Man Of Tai Chi

This movie took me by surprise. I was really expecting a cheesy, over-the-top martial arts film, but as a first-time director, Keanu Reeves actually did pretty well. I appreciate how the movie is modest; it is not constantly pushing the idea of "this-is-a-super-awesome-action-movie" in your face, which allows for more breathing room and focus. It is well-paced, and takes itself seriously enough to be largely enjoyable. The camerawork is also something to admire, especially with the action sequences. 


No comments:

Post a Comment