Sunday, May 25, 2014

Top 100 Movies Of All Time, #67-61

This one is a bit shorter because I messed up on the first entry so I had to reconfigure the list a bit in order to have one entry for the top ten.

67. Star Wars, Episode 3: Revenge Of The Sith


I know a lot of people like to nitpick the newer trilogy, but I did genuinely enjoy this film. It provided a lot of interesting new context for the Darth Vader character, which we don't really see too much during the reruns of the older trilogy. I also appreciated how this film had a darker tone compared to the others, and the visual style is breathtaking. (It should be noted I will not be offering commentary on Episode I.)


66. Napoleon Dynamite

If you don't love this movie, you either hate it or have never heard of it before. This was really my first exposure to the world of independent films, and proved that sometimes they are even ten times better than big-budget productions. Napoleon is simple and raw in its comedic delivery, which packs an interesting and original punch. Plus, the throwback to the eighties will have you laughing for years to come.


65. Blackfish

Given that I have a paralyzing fear of whales, it was weird that I ended up watching this film at all. But, as documentaries tend to do, this movie helped changed my view of them a bit. Here, we are presented with an honest, no-holds-barred image of what Seaworld has really become. Gritty and enticing, it is a must-see for anyone concerned with marine life, or just curious about the true faces of major entertainment enterprises.

64. Fantasia 2000


This movie came out just around the time computer animation was beginning to emerge, so Fantasia 2000 and other later films kind of mark the last hurrah for Disney's 2-D era. The film is actually a wonderful start to a sort-of "grand finale". The animation is beautiful, first of all, and I love how they incorporated different styles of animation to help unite the cinematography with the story. Overall a very visually dynamic experience. 

63. Lincoln


Daniel Day-FREAKING-Lewis, you guys! That's all I really need to say about this movie, right? I mean, good Lord, has he ever not taken a movie role and completely hit it out of the park? This film is history coming to life before our eyes. It's visually striking, and the acting is outstanding on pretty much everyone's part. The one complaint I have against this film was that I felt it was a bit long, but hey, when you are portraying a figure as monumental as Abraham Lincoln, such length is usually necessary.

62. The Iron Lady


Hey look, another biographical movie! I can sometimes get picky about these types of movies, but like Daniel-Day Lewis' performance in Lincoln, Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher immediately drew me in. She delivers this prominent historical figure with enough expertise and brutality to rival her performance in Doubt. Poignant and impressive, this film is certainly an eye-opener for everyone.

61. The Simpsons Movie

What a blast! This movie is always a ton of fun to watch, and a great pick for movie night. Come on guys, did we really expect anything less from The Simpsons? Their writing has pretty much become legendary in the entertainment world, and it truly shines on the screen in this film. On top of the story, the animation is excellent, and the pop-culture references and comedic moments are sure to please. 

No comments:

Post a Comment